Pages

THEN to NOW - Digicel Rising Star Top 3

The Judges - Michael Sallickram, Glenda Collens & Johnny Gonsalves


This is my THEN and NOW – Last week to this week’s Review….

Props again to Joanna de-Silva for the beautiful and very useful pictures...do not worry hun the stealing/borrowing is almost over! Thank you so much for sharing them with me…

Last week the contestants had to sing a Power Soca and any slow song from a Caribbean artiste and this week they had to sing a hit song from the year they were born and a song from the current year!

To macco good you all need to follow the trend of THEN and NOW…. look for the key words!


Last week I got a headache. I was so disappointed Akilah Wilson-Claxton because you have so much potential to be something great. Clearly both songs were out of your league, it is not your style, you were not comfortable at all and neither was I. I do not want to believe that you filling in for Junior Don with that off-key, off-beat kind of confusion.


When I heard you were going to sing “Voices from the Ghetto” – Singing Sandra, I was excited, I figured someone who sings with as much soul as you, should have been able to mash up that song. What went wrong babes? :-(

On the up side I really liked your outfit for “Max it up” – Destra. However I am sure Destra was quite disappointed after you convinced her and everyone else that you were going to mash up the place and then what we got instead was no rhythm and absolutely offkeyyyyyyyyyyyyness! (yes I making up my own words, A Macco can do that)


____________________________________________________________________


Last week again Afiya Athill, I had an issue with your constant reminders that you are “Shy” I did not buy it the first time you said it and it still not convincing. You did a fabulous rendition of Heather Headley’s “I wish I wasn’t”. Yes Yes Yes it was another moving performance from you. I had some problems with the second song “Sassiness”; that was the most boring version of that song I have ever heard/seen in my life. I felt as though something was missing from the execution of that song, maybe you were tired OR was it the “shyness”? Afiya surely has a voice but that didn’t sound like a soca to me nah… “ah ah ah” what was that? Girl, I thought you were in pain?


NOW Afiya really moved the crowd with her version of Whitney Houston’s “Saving all my love” She is now the queen of the pact and she stands out well. Her second selection was “Stronger” – Mary J. Blige and it is only fair to admit that it was a well meshed performance vocally, she took her time; it was calm and not an overdone performance.

However, I found that she sounded a lil “huskier” than usual @ Stronger but she worked it; really honest and genuine attempt.



Next up, the very cocky Donelle Job, week after week Donelle is not spectacular or surprising, he sticks in his comfort zone and the sister isle continues to vote (big shock right **sarcastic grin**).


Last week he sang “You told me” which was originally sung by Fred Hammond and Commissioned, and was very similar to last weeks’ performance, same energy level, not surprising at all because he is a comfortable performer but he was very soothing. Now, now, Donelle hunny I did not know that “Reach” – Rizon is a soca! Wait did you speed up the song? Donelle not because Rizon from Trinidad means that everything he sings is Soca OK! I am quite familiar with that song and that is not the speed I know, I have never heard that song so fast in meh life…. Rizon whey yuh?…….say summinnnnnnnnnnn! Is your song a soca? I think not!!


NOW this week Donelle chose Daniel Winans “Love You” I am really upset still because this boy really does not challenge himself at all. I disagree with Glenda talking about he challenged himself? Blehh I eh see/hear that! His second selection was of praise and worship; a gospel reggae originally sung by Jermaine Edwards - "Make you Smile" and was wayyyyyy better than the first but I still feel like he has to make some adjustments for the next round. He was good as usual but he is so safe… the consistency is there but break out your shell a little bit nah…What I can say is that you know how to pick your comfortable selections well.



Junior Don, Boy all I want to know is, sooooo long it took you to learn how to sing properly? Last week I really wanted to scream out and tell you that you really didn’t do too bad with that Barrington Levy “Too experienced”…I am surprised. However, you had a really low energy performance when it came to the second song “Higher than High” ….. I mean is a Machel you were doing **sighs** I can see though that you were trying to focus on the vocals aspect of your performance, you know that is what you get bashed for all the time but you were out of breath badddddddddd! Better you did sing Breathless yes because you had that aspect of the song down pack… lol **dead** Well I already realize that I could say what I want about your performances; the females still love you. Yuh hear what the judges say? Finally boy you figure out what you are supposed to sing and I was right you are a reggae/dancehall/chanter man. I still have my reservations about you being a “Soca man.” Anyhoos JD I will lay off your case for now!


NOW Junior you are really lucky eh? After you “buss” singing easy songs like “If I ever fall in love again” – Boyz II Men you decided to sing Michael Jackson’s “Rock with you” and John Legend’s “Everybody Knows”….well I nearly dead, I am close to being speechless (I cannot be totally because I have to finish writing this blog..lol)

I can tell that your vocal trainer (Glenda Collens) worked over time with you boy, it was what you really needed and you did not fail but made those songs your own and I liked that…. every week it continues to show that the crowd and ladies love you. :-) You came out and you delivered.


Next week somebody going home (at least they going home with money) and there will be the final 2 and performances..I have my top 2 picks do you?

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response.
21 Responses
  1. 7802!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE ONLY PERSON WHO MAKES AN HONEST ATTEMPT TO COME OUT OF THEIR COMFORT ZONE. WEEK AFTER WEEK HE PUTS HIMSELF AT THE MERCY OF THE JUDGES AND THE AUDIENCE AND GIVES HIS BEST! A TRUE PERFORMER. NEVER AFRAID TO TRY NEW THINGS, EVEN WHEN IT'S NOT "HIS THING". HE GOES ALL OUT, ALL THE TIME. YOU GO BOY!! ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP!
    GUIDANCE!

  2. gravatar monifa mawusi

    I'm a TRINI living in Texas,and because of your compelling and straight forward no holds barred critique, you have brought this show to light for a lot of us. Unfortunately we are unable to be part of the viewing audience because we're unable to find the broadcast online.I can honestly say I'm literally chumping at the bits to see the show, because of your outstanding ability to bring it to life in print.GREAT JOB MACCO!!!!!

  3. Thank you Monifa we have real thing coming soon..so keep on maccoing!

  4. gravatar Anonymous

    I really do enjoy reading your comments. Maybe next year you can be on the judges panel. Your comments are very insightful and usually spot on. :)

  5. gravatar Anonymous

    CAN MACCO SING EHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!? MACCO WELL IF YOU CAN"T YOUR COMMENTS HAVE NO EFFECT BECAUSE IT TAKES A TEACHER WITH KNOWLEDGE TO TEACH FOOLS JUST FOOL THE BAN WAGON CONTINUE MACCO BECAUSE BABY I AIN"T FINISH YET>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>IT"S ME AND YOU BABY. ME AND YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

  6. ummmm Ok then @ Comment #6 Can you sing hun? I hope so because your comment is confusing me...What does the ability to sing have to do with an ability to hear when someone cah sing? lol

    Hi @ comment #5..thank you so much for the comment..Judge I think not..lol

  7. gravatar Anonymous

    HA HA!!! Well "MACCO" it's so simple. When YUH ILLITERATE and when YUH KNOW WHAT YUH TALKING BOUT. And i am a vocalist hunny. GLENDA HAS HER B.A. in VOCALS from BOSTON UNIVERSITY AND CAST SINGERS FOR DISNEY AND OTHER SHOWS IN CANADA AND ENGLAND SO "MACCO" UNLIKE YOUR DISPLAY OF ILLITERATE JUDGEMENT (i know you agree) GLENDA KNOWS WHAT SHE TALKING BOUT. ok BABES YOU ARE WEAK BABES ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT!!!!! (that was not a suggestion)

  8. Ha....thank you Anonymous ure comments are sooooo valuable! :-)

  9. gravatar Anonymous

    LAMO I AINT DONE YET BABES I AIN"T DONE YET.......enjoy the day WEAK-LINK

  10. Just to let you guys know...especially for those who are unable to view the show locally (monifa)...u can check out ALL the performances on youtube. Just search for the channel - DRSTT09. Cheers!!

  11. :-)Thank you @ Anonymous comment #10....ure comments sound a little husky...are you totting feelings babe? If so that is very unfortunate...we can agree to disagree that my opinion is mine and urs will remain urs..if there is something you do not like then so be it.... My blog serves a purpose and if it did not I would not have been invited to blog in the first place....So ummm who Illiterate now hunni?

  12. ROFL @ comments soundy "husky". Dis Macco Bright. Make out scene!!

  13. gravatar Monifa Mawusi

    Macco again let me applaud for the wonderful job you're doing with your unbias critique of the DRS finalist. Thank you.

    Anonymous #6,I'm totally confused by your comments, and it's really unfortunate that you have chosen this forum for personal attacks. Instead of ceasing the opportunity MY LEARNED FRIEND, to enlighten us with critique with a different view point you have proven that Successful Dialogue cannot be had with someone who CANNOT DISAGREE without being DISAGREEABLE.I'm still not sure what your disagreement is all you did was try to hurl insults. Since Boston College as you boastfully disclosed is your Alma Mater you're probaly familiar with this from 'WALT WHITMAN' Poet 1819-1892
    There's an Indescriable Freshness & Unconsciousness about an ILLITERATE PERSON that HUMBLES & MOCKS the POWER of the Noblest EXPRESSIVE GENIUS.

  14. gravatar Anonymous

    HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LMAO

  15. gravatar Anonymous

    "MACCC" I SEE YUH GIRL YOU PRETTY GIRLFRIEND BUT FIND NAH LIFE NAH GIRL...........lol WE GOING FIRST WORLD HUNNY THE BUSH STYLE OF LIVING DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  16. gravatar Anonymous

    While Donell May be in his comfort Zone. There is no one who can compete with him. Macco if you think you can do better then go. Leave donell alone. He mekin Ah we proud. If ah we so nuh vote fuh am then somthin rang. That ah "Ah we boy" He ha fuh be the next Rising Stars. Kay Mek it onow he ha fuh do it. That go mek 2 representatives from Tobago Mekin we proud. If you nuh get not'n fuh do. Go mek wa pikney.....

  17. gravatar Anonymous

    lmao@ comment 12 "...ur comments sound a little husky"...lmao...but i agree wit comment 14.I still not sure what your'e disagreement is either...All i know is that you just reach and started threatening ppl...so childish... You sound more illiterate than u than claim macco to be...

  18. gravatar Anonymous

    And as for comment no.18 are you from Tobago or Jamaica? hmmm

  19. gravatar Anonymous

    Toago. Ah dat Y mi seh Ah WE boy.

  20. Donelle is in fact Talened...that point was never disputed....my opinions may differ but I appreciate your viewpoints as well... Continue reading and posting and I wish the final 2 all the best!!

Leave a Reply