Pages

A Caribbean Soul Christmas - Mista Vybe

Mista Vybe is also featured on “A Caribbean Soul Christmas” I am sure you all have never heard “Little Drummer Boy” like this before. No exaggeration is intended when I say that Vybe sang the Christmas into this Christmas Carol…..I soooo want to meet this Little Drummer boy now! **giggles**
















Entertainment Macco:
What does Christmas mean to you?
Mista Vybe: “To me, Christmas is about family time. I work alot most of the time and Christmas is the one time I know my family will be together and I can take a second to relax and let them know how much I love and appreciate them"
Entertainment Macco:
Ahh a family man....I am glad to know that you cherish family time Vybe. :-)

Entertainment Macco:
What is your most memorable Christmas experience?
Mista Vybe: “Hmm... I have so many great Christmas memories it's hard to pick one! Probably when I was a little boy and I got a drum for Christmas - an African drum, like the type they use for Best Village. I wanted that drum all year and was so thrilled when I finally got it. I got lessons in drumming and percussion from Malick Folk Performers too right after Christmas; best present EVER! My Dad still has the drum to this day lol. It has Reindeers carved into the wood.”
Entertainment Macco: Your dad has the drum? lol..I thought it was your Christmas gift, you are supposed to have it ent? lol

Entertainment Macco: What made you choose this particular Christmas Carol?
Mista Vybe: “Honestly, it was all Natasha (Shawn Noel's wife/Manager and co-owner of Ma$tamind Productions) - I can't take any of the credit. She came to me with the idea - the music was already done. Once Shawn sent me the music for "Little Drummer Boy", I was like: "I’m IN!!!” It's a classic Carol so I was very careful about doing the vocals just right, which was a challenge given some of the greats who have sung it in the past: David Bowie, Bing Crosby, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, Destiny's Child, Whitney Houston, Gladys Knight... those are some big shoes to fill. In the end I just tried to make it mine and do it my way... I think I did a decent job lol. Thankfully Tasha and Shawn are happy with it, which is a major compliment. And the feedback so far has been AMAZING. So I'm thankful.”
Entertainment Macco: Big shoes to fill indeed but you did absolute justice to "Little Drummer Boy"...you were that little drummer boy once...remember the Christmas gift? lol

Entertainment Macco: Is this Christmas Carol your favourite or is there one closer to your heart? If there is one share it!
Mista Vybe: “Hmmm... I really like "Give Love On Christmas Day"... not sure if that would be considered a Carol or just a Christmas Song though. I really love "Silent Night" but someone else got it this time around on the album lol. Small ting - the whole album came out great. As they say "everything happens for a reason".”

Entertainment Macco: This is the first time I have heard you sing/play in this style, and it is great can we look forward to hearing this style more often?
Mista Vybe: “I actually sing like that alot, but for some reason people don't always notice lol. Check MistaVybeWorld.com's Music Page and see for yourself. I actually prefer when I get to sing, but not every song requires that - especially in Soca for Carnival. I have a lot of range, so I can do a lot of different things. Singing is only aspect of Mista Vybe. I chant and rap too, among other things.”

Entertainment Macco: What challenges if any did you face in your interpretation of this carol?
Mista Vybe: “The biggest challenge for me was just making "Little Drummer Boy" my own. I didn't want anybody to say "he sang it just like SO-AND-SO", so I took my time recording the vocals and just went with my gut. I really have to big up the recording engineer - my good friend Giandre "The Phoenix" Diaz from Burning Bush Studios - who did a wonderful job recording the vocals and gave me some cool ideas. Always a pleasure working with him. Shawn (Noel) made it really easy too cause the music is filled with so much emotion - it really captures a mood. So I had a lot to work with.”

Entertainment Macco: What Christmas traditions do you “MUST” follow every year?
Mista Vybe:“MUST have turkey - as much as possible! I love turkey. MUST sip a lil white whine - that's a family tradition that comes from my Mom - she's really into upscale stuff like that. MUST have my mom's candied sweet potato - it BESSSSS! MUST spend time with the family, at least on Christmas Day itself. MUST start reflecting on the year that passed and start looking toward the New Year. MUST relax for that one day - it's one of the few days I actually might NOT be writing or in a studio... okay well maybe just not in the STUDIO lol - might end up writing in my head lol. MUST drink some sorrel - not from a pack or a tin or a bottle... REAL sorrel boiled in a pot at home lol.”

Entertainment Macco: What is one thing you taught, or plan to, or would like to teach your child/children about Christmas?
Mista Vybe: “Christmas is about GIVING and SHARING LOVE and about FAMILY, nut JUST getting presents. I only really appreciate that when I got older even though my parents always pounded it into my head. Hopefully the same will be true for my kids when they get older.”

Entertainment Macco: What is your absolute favourite Christmas dish?
Mista Vybe: “It's a tie between Turkey and my mom's candied sweet potatoes. Yummmmm!”

Entertainment Macco: Are you the early preparation type and comfortable type OR the last minute hustle and bustle, smelling the fresh paint type?
Mista Vybe:“I try to start early - I think we all do lol. But I always end up rushing last minute. Plus my Mom and I have a tradition - I help her bake all the fruit cake and bread and cook the ham and what not on Christmas Eve night after all the house work is done. So normally all dat doesn't get done till wayyyyyyy after midnight lol”
Entertainment Macco: So in other words...you're a last minute hustle and bustle guy?

Entertainment Macco: Do you think Christmas is appreciated, as it should be?
Mista Vybe: “I think everyone appreciates it differently. Definitely the spirit of giving isn't as strong as it used to be back in the day. That saddens me a bit. Hopefully it will get better starting with this year and then a little better every year after that. That will be my Christmas wish - how about that?”

Entertainment Macco: Does the actual day mean as much to you as the season?
Mista Vybe: “They're equal to me - the day is one of the peaks of the season, but for me Christmas Eve, Boxing Day and New Years are just as important in the season too.”
Entertainment Macco: I hear you Vybe!

Entertainment Macco: Parang VERSUS Carols; which one do you prefer?
Mista Vybe: “I like both. For a really good Christmas feeling you need a good mix and some Soca Parang too. Cyah have a real Trini Christmas without some Scrunter!”

Entertainment Macco: Do you feel the same about Christmas as an adult in comparison to your feelings when you were a child? What has changed?
Mista Vybe: “As a child I was more obsessed with presents and especially with what Santa would bring me. As an adult I'm more concerned with the family being together and everyone being happy. I don't really expect much for myself anymore.”
Entertainment Macco: Would you believe that some biggggg men still obsessed with presents? Sad eh?

Entertainment Macco: If there was one thing you could change about Christmas, what would it be?
Mista Vybe: “As I said before, I'd bring back the love and the spirit of giving that seems to be lacking lately. I think maybe that's because Christmas - and pretty much all holidays for that matter - are really commercialized these days. So maybe THAT'S what I'd change. Make it less commercialized. Less about getting the latest whatever, and more about remembering the real reason for the season. Amen.”
Entertainment Macco: **trying to remember the real reason** Oh yes! I was having a moment..Birth of Jesus Christ, Time of giving, love, family and togetherness... right!

Entertainment Macco: Are you on the Naughty or Nice list? I hope you are not getting coal in your stockings this Christmas… lol
Mista Vybe: “Naughty? Me? Nahhhhh - I'm a NICE boy. Really I am! *naughty grin*”
Entertainment Macco: Uh huh...sure.....very convincing!!



Please view/listen to the video attached...you all are going to love this!

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response.
7 Responses
  1. gravatar monifa mawusi

    Well done Mr Vybe. Macco again thank you for highlighting great talent.

  2. Monifa i think you macco more than me...you just wait patiently for the interviews eh? We have much more to come..Keep on maccoing and thank you so much for the love and support!

  3. gravatar Anonymous

    I still can't beleive that this is the same fella that sing "Ting for the Road" dude could really sing.

  4. Yesssssss Vybe can sing alot of people never really took time out to recognize it.... glad you guys like it

  5. gravatar Anonymous

    What's up, I wish for to subscribe for this webpage
    to take newest updates, so where can i do it please help
    out.

    Feel free to visit my web-site emergency flood damage services
    Columbia (http://www.youtube.com)

  6. gravatar Anonymous

    This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.

    I've joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your fantastic post.
    Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks!

Leave a Reply