Pages

Digicel Rising Star - Final Two

We reach the final two already? This competition did not just begin? It is down to the final 2 and I know both contestants probably campaigning like crazy eh..so I wish both of them all the best…may the better man or woman win….


A little part of me was sad to see Junior Don go home (shocking right?) but he really did come a long way..maybe a little too long but he started to prove he deserved to be in the competition too late but Junior boy you resting comfortably with $40 000.00…Congrats hun. Your parting performance was well done; the reggae version of Michael Jacksons’ “Human Nature”









Now on to what took place on Saturday….both contestants had to sing three (3) songs…two of which they sung previously during the competition and any other of their choice…. Glenda (the judge) was overly emotional this time around and I really did not expect that from her at all...she cried for everything!! :-O

So let’s go with Donelle’s performances first…..



“No love like your love” – An original composition which for some reason made me want to cry…it moved me in so many different ways..I felt calm, I felt assured. It was an honest and genuine performance which I thoroughly enjoyed.









“Make you smile” by Jermaine Edwards – Compared to the last time he performed it a few adjustments were made and they worked in favour of Donelle..the audience was really feeling this performance..maybe it was the reggae vibes..whatever it was Donelle you had them in a trance…(not me though) but I will honestly say that there is no doubt in my mind that you could sing..I mean sing! You made me smile :-)


“I found love” by Bebe Winans – The original singer would be extremely proud to hear your interpretation and execution of this song. Donelle you looked really smart during this performance and your vibe and charisma on stage reminded me of a wedding singer. The mood was set…yes you set the mood…Does a role as a wedding singer look promising for you? I think so! You seemed really comfortable with this song and I loved that….This time around your cockiness did not show but that does not mean that you still do not have to work on it!








Now…on the Afiya Athill; I call her the queen of the pact because she is the last woman standing..congrats!

“Listen” by Beyonce Knowles – For me the performance was good but it was not great BUT Afiya you have proven again that you are raw talent. I really like how you played around with the song and made it your own; that was smart and at this stage of this competition if anyone has not learnt how to own a song they are in deep trouble!!









“Bust the windows” by Jazmine Sullivan – A much better performance that the first time you did it and the attitude was there as usual. Although you had a couple odd-points in the performance vocally you still managed to hold it together and represent. This performance did not have that surprising/wow element but you did you.


“And I’m telling you” by Jennifer Hudson – This song was sung earlier in the competition by Akilah Wilson-Claxton and although Afiya’s vocals are not as smooth as Afiya’s, the dramatization and performance factor was out of this world. Afiya you were a little out of breath but with that added flavour I really did not care that you were fighting to keep your breathing together. From the taking off of the shoes, to the throwing it on the ground behind you, to the passion, to the throwing yourself onto the ground and close to tears performance, need I say that you ROCKED this one!

One problem though why did you feel it necessary to keep dropping little odd lines about your hoarse voice..Sympathy? We know you were horse..you have been for quite sometime!! :-)





So who allyuh feel going to take it home? Who has been the most consistent/deserving competitor out of the two finalists? I have my winner do you? Stay tuned for the Grand Finale on Sunday 22nd November @ Alchemy Night Club…..who going home with the Grand prize?


Thank you again to Joanna de-Silva..these shots are on-point..the macco is seeing big things in your future!

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response.
6 Responses
  1. gravatar Monifa Mawusi

    This one is almost over MACCO and although I did not see one show I totally enjoyed the commentary. Can't wait for the upcoming Carnival Competitons.

  2. gravatar Joanna de-Silva

    Your most welcome!!!!! :)

  3. gravatar Anonymous

    AH we boy tek

  4. gravatar Anonymous

    Ah we boy tek fus prize. "if yuh nuh win they thief!!!!'

  5. Yes it was a well deserved win... Congrats to Donelle Job!

Leave a Reply