Pages

The Macco is following Digicel Rising Stars

You know that Entertainment Macco has to be up in everything, bringing what is happening to all the other Maccos right? So, this is what we are doing and how we plan on doing it…we going DRS!!! Digicel Rising Stars.






Alright so let me make sure I have everything…

Macco Gear
Macco Look
Macco Eyes

Macco Ears
Macco Smile
Macco Talk
Camera
A notepad just in case I feel to write stuff down…

First there were the auditions…let’s talk about Sunday 6th September 2009, wow; talk about people and talent. The Macco had the opportunity to sit in, witness and observe the happenings of this competition. (Well I was really maccoing eh…but in a real sophisticated way) While I was waiting to be shown around I had the opportunity to walk around, scope out all the audition hopefuls and listen to voices as they bounced off the audition walls. THEN! I was in the mix….I sat next to the first judge who did the pre-screening (you will not and would not have seen him on television)…aww man he was nice, patient and funny BUT I surely did not want a piece of his task. I would call him judge dread...just because he had to make some really tough decisions. You all have no idea how far apart the talent was coming at some times…..It was like 10 horrible singers then one angel would show up.

I always tried to understand (I gave up now) why when a competition comes around and there is a call for singers as well, for some reason every person who has a “bathroom voice”, “home voice”, “indoor voice” or “no voice” come out in their numbers to rinse out the judges ears. The funny part though is that the set that realllllllllllllllllyy cannot sing are the arrogant, the hurt set and the set that hate the judges. How funny is that? Take for example; there was a guy who came in and sung his “heart out” and almost deafen everyone who was in the room he was told, “I am sorry but I would be unable to put you through to the next rounds of DRS…however thank you for coming out though…” He stopped, looked at the screening judge and said, “Huh? Excuse me? Is there any particular reason why **rolls eye**? Hear nah that was a classic….the audacity of some people boy….someone really did tell that boy that he was capable of singing, the sad part however was, they lied! LOL

Oh ho, before that I had the joy of sitting in with the pre-screening judge, I had a little sit down session with Knycky Cordner; the host since 2006 and this is what she had to say when I asked her what she thinks about the competition, “It is a great forum for new and young artistes..not only young age wise but young in the business to get a chance to become someone better” She continued by saying
“It is a great opportunity to start off a career with $100,000.00, a world class video and a booking contract, girl I in the business so long and I wish I could get this opportunity! What they want better than that?”

There was this one girl, in a pink and black chequered top that had a voice of an angel….I wonder if she made it in the final 30……Yes only 30 DRS were selected out of about 700 hopefuls… The macco was told that for the Saturday Auditions there were over 300 hopefuls and auditions did not come to an end until 3:00AM on Sunday morning and guess what? There were only 10 spots to be filled!!

One thing I would say that I prefer is a competition with only singers.. I always thought that it is not fair to put a dancer up against a singer and a singer up against a musician and vice versa. This year on DRS I saw vocalists coming out in their numbers and they were chosen. NOW I THINK IT IS A FAIR COMPETITION although we have a couple guitarist/singers but at least they are singing!

The judges are on point as usual Johnny Gonsalves - Judge since 2006, Michael Salickram - Judge since 2006 and Glenda Collens – New Judge 2009. I wonder who is going to be the “Simon” of the bunch! I can already see that it would be the lady; Glenda…Lol


Aye allyuh don't forget...If there is a contestant that you are feeling...vote for them nah!









You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response.
0 Responses
Leave a Reply