Pages

A Caribbean Soul Christmas - Kyle Peters

Kyle Peters is an extremely talented musician who hails from South Trinidad; a member of the band Red, White and Black, he takes great joy in creating beautiful music. It would really sound kinda cliche' to say that Music is his love but then again I would only be telling the Truth...Kyle is a Star and one of the Stars featured on "A Caribbean Soul Christmas."




Entertainment Macco: What does Christmas mean to you?

Kyle Peters: "Christmas is a really special time of the year that signifies the birth of Jesus Christ. It is a time where we truly display the good in ourselves and show people lots of love and how much we care, however these characteristics should not be seasonal."



Entertainment Macco:
What is your most memorable Christmas experience?

Kyle Peters: "My most memorable experience was one Christmas I was helping prepare my house for this special day. The entire family was putting out their all and working hard to beat the sunrise. At about 4:00am I realised everyone fell asleep and it was just me with lots to do still. However I persevered and strived on my own to accomplish the family’s goal of having the house completed."



Entertainment Macco:
What made you choose this particular Christmas Carol?

Kyle Peters: "It is soulful and the mood of the piece is quite relative to me. I am a bit laid back and very much into jazz and soul."



Entertainment Macco:
Is this Christmas Carol your favourite or is there one closer to your heart? If there is one share it!

Kyle Peters: "It is my favourite and coincidentally I was asked to do this carol by Ma$tamind without him knowing this."

Entertainment Macco:Well boy I guess that is why the call him the Ma$tamind right? lol



Entertainment Macco: This is the first time I have heard you sing/play in this style, and it is great can we look forward to hearing this style more often?

Kyle Peters: "Yes there will me more to come from me especially in this style. I have just started working on my own album and there will be several items within this genre of music."



Entertainment Macco: What challenges if any did you face in your interpretation of this carol?

Kyle Peters: "Actually there was not any difficulty or challenge in interpreting this carol. What made it even easier was the mood of the poem that initialized the piece. It was very appropriate and this carol suited perfectly the contents of the poem."


Entertainment Macco: What Christmas traditions do you “MUST” follow every year?

Kyle Peters: "I must play football or “sweat” as locally termed every Christmas morning. It is a village tradition where I’m from."


Entertainment Macco: What is one thing you taught, or plan to, or would like to teach your child/children about Christmas?

Kyle Peters: "I would teach my children the soul reason for the existence of Christmas. “Don’t X Christ out of Christmas.” In addition, I would teach them that this is a time of sharing and spreading joy and love to everyone."


Entertainment Macco:
What is your absolute favourite Christmas dish?

Kyle Peters:"There is a dish my mother makes every year…. Bean salad… it’s a family speciality (licking my lips already lol)"

Entertainment Macco: Is where you living again...remind me please because that sounds quite interesting!! *drools*


Entertainment Macco: Are you the early preparation type and comfortable type OR the last minute hustle and bustle, smelling the fresh paint type?

Kyle Peters: "Well clearly from what was mentioned early, it is obvious that we are last minute hustle and bustle people. We just can’t seem to break that habit……"


Entertainment Macco: Do you think Christmas is appreciated, as it should be?

Kyle Peters:"Honestly I think it has lost a lot of significance and value. With respect to Trinidad, the length of the Christmas season has decreased and is being replaced by Carnival which in itself implies that Christmas is not being appreciated"


Entertainment Macco: Does the actual day mean as much to you as the season?

Kyle Peters: "Actually it means much more. The best time is waking up Christmas morning with the sweet aroma of baked ham, cakes and other delicacies, seeing the smiles of children as they open their presents. Going to church and giving thanks for another year. It’s amazing!!!"


Entertainment Macco:
Parang VERSUS Carols; which one do you prefer?

Kyle Peters: "Hmmmm…….. I would say parang because it is part of our heritage. It is closely associated to our history and was brought by our ancestors."


Entertainment Macco: Do you feel the same about Christmas as an adult in comparison to your feelings when you were a child? What has changed?

Kyle Peters: "Well I guess there is a difference. As a child you are excited about presents and all the other nice things, however as an adult there are more sentimental things and spending family time is more valued."


Entertainment Macco:
If there was one thing you could change about Christmas, what would it be?

Kyle Peters: "I would change people’s focus and their mind set about Christmas and show the significance of the season and the day in particular."


Entertainment Macco: Are you on the Naughty or Nice list? I hope you are not getting coal in your stockings this Christmas… lol

Kyle Peters:"Hmmmm……… ummmm………… Sadly I feel I ended up on the naughty list this year lol………"

Entertainment Macco: Well you know what happens to Naughty boys right? **giggles**


To Listen or Purchase this track go to:

http://trinidadtunes.com/index.php?action=album&id=839&A%20Caribbean%20Soul%20Christmas

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response.
2 Responses
  1. gravatar Anonymous

    well done kyle!!

  2. gravatar Racine

    congrats, keep it up!

Leave a Reply