Pages

A Caribbean Soul Christmas - Shawn "Ma$tamind" Noel

The question on many minds remains..."How many things this Ma$tamind fella really want to do?" One minute he is a producer, then he is a writer, then he is a musician, then he singing soca...now is Parang and Christmas Carols..Ah well I guess so it goes when talent is seeping through you pores huh? He is the first Noel and his rendition of this Christmas Carol is truly amazing and surprising....










Entertainment Macco:
What does Christmas mean to you?
Shawn "Ma$tamind" Noel: "Christmas, to me, is a time to reflect on the birth of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. As well, it is a time of happiness, kindness, giving to others; and of course, a time for family… Aside from my birthday, it’s my favourite time of year; after all, my last name is French for Christmas :-)"

Entertainment Macco: What is your most memorable Christmas experience?
Shawn "Ma$tamind" Noel: "It’s kinda hard to pick just one. I have several fond memories from childhood Christmases straight up to the present. Everything from church, to parang, to waiting up to sample everything to eat and drink, to giving and receiving gifts, decorating the tree… so many memories!"

Entertainment Macco: What made you choose this particular Christmas Carol?
Shawn "Ma$tamind" Noel: "I won’t even try to deny it! “The First Noel” was chosen simply because of the irony of someone named “Noel” singing “The First Noel”. Hahaha. “Jolly Old St. Nicholas” was actually Natasha’s choice for me to sing. She wanted to do a rock version of it and it was a lotta fun getting in character and recording it."

Entertainment Macco: Is this Christmas Carol your favourite or is there one closer to your heart? If there is one share it!
Shawn "Ma$tamind" Noel: "You know what… Each track on A Caribbean Soul Christmas is a very special track to me. We owe a great dept of gratitude to every one of the artiste featured on the album. Thank you guys so much!"

Entertainment Macco: This is the first time I have heard you sing/play in this style, and it is great can we look forward to hearing this style more often?
Shawn "Ma$tamind" Noel: "It was always my plan to explore every possible style of music possible at least once. So I would definitely be exploring the styles heard on my tracks a bit more in the future."

Entertainment Macco: What challenges if any did you face in your interpretation of this carol?
Shawn "Ma$tamind" Noel: "With “The First Noel”, Natasha will tell you how much I complained that I didn’t like it and wanted to make it an instrumental track. It was a whole different ball game recording this track. At times it was a bit frustrating doing take after take and not being comfortable with the result. However, I’ve actually grown to kinda like the end result.
“Jolly Old St. Nicholas” on the other hand was a bit easier. It took me a little time to find the character and the voice I was looking for, but it was definitely a lotta fun. :-)"

Entertainment Macco: What Christmas traditions do you “MUST” follow every year?
Shawn "Ma$tamind" Noel: "Our tree must go up on Dec. 1st! I must try to make my case as to why I should be allowed to open one of my presents early. But more importantly, I absolutely must take time to thank God for my family (biological and otherwise), my friends and His countless blessings throughout the year."

Entertainment Macco: What is one thing you taught, or plan to, or would like to teach your child/children about Christmas?
Shawn "Ma$tamind" Noel: "They must learn the importance of considering others and being able to give rather than receive, the real reason for the season and everything else that we know a true “Caribbean Soul Christmas” to be."

Entertainment Macco: What is your absolute favourite Christmas dish?
Shawn "Ma$tamind" Noel: "Ummm… “Black Cake & Sorrel” and “Ham & Pastelle” (yeah! I know it’s a shameless plug! So what?!) :-)"
Entertainment Macco: It is quite evident that you have no shame!! lol

Entertainment Macco: Are you the early preparation type and comfortable type OR the last minute hustle and bustle, smelling the fresh paint type?
Shawn "Ma$tamind" Noel: "What about option C, “Later than last-minute”? Hope I could make it in time this year though".

Entertainment Macco: Do you think Christmas is appreciated, as it should be?
Shawn "Ma$tamind" Noel: "Honestly I don’t think so. With each passing year we see more and more emphasis being placed on the Carnival season which takes away from us being able to really concentrate and reflect on the Christmas season and why we celebrate it. Also, as a musician heavily involved in Christmas music I’m sure I can speak for others when I say that our music at this time of year doesn’t receive half the amount of attention that it should."

Entertainment Macco: Does the actual day mean as much to you as the season?
Shawn "Ma$tamind" Noel: "Yes it does! December 25th is such a very special day for me."

Entertainment Macco: Parang VERSUS Carols; which one do you prefer?
Shawn "Ma$tamind" Noel: "Both! Hence the “Mastamind Christmas 4” and “Caribbean Soul Christmas” albums (shameless plug #2. Hahahaha!!!)"

Entertainment Macco: Do you feel the same about Christmas as an adult in comparison to your feelings when you were a child? What has changed?
Shawn "Ma$tamind" Noel: "I’m actually still very much excited about Christmas. As far as changes; as a child I used to be really excited about opening presents on Christmas, as an adult (while I still enjoy opening gifts) I’m just as excited to give them."
Entertainment Macco: Since you are excited about giving gifts Shawn...let me just let you know that I am excited about receiving *hint* *hint*

Entertainment Macco: If there was one thing you could change about Christmas, what would it be?
Shawn "Ma$tamind" Noel: "One thing I’d change about Christmas? I’d move the date of Carnival, so that the Christmas season wouldn’t be so rushed."

Entertainment Macco: Are you on the Naughty or Nice list? I hope you are not getting coal in your stockings this Christmas… lol
Shawn "Ma$tamind" Noel: "Who knows? Maybe I’m on both lists! :-)"





To view Shawn "Ma$tamind" Noel feat. Mrs. $pirit$ - Jolly Ol' Saint Nicholas please go to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyEfpYSijL0

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response.
0 Responses
Leave a Reply