Pages

A Caribbean Soul Christmas - Guitarist Dean Williams

Too often we never recognize the musicians…the guys and gyals who fuel and add that extra flavour to music. Dean Williams is definetly one of those guys…. I cannot start to list all his achievements but he has worked extensively with Sheldon “Shelshok” Benjamin, Sparrow, Kitchener, Shadow and has been lead Guitarist for 3 Canal, The old Atlantik, Xtatik; just to name a few. Ohhhh yeah he is also a teacher, a composer and a producer…*Out of Breath* Presently Dean is the lead Guitarist with Destra and continues to pursue his Solo career. His beautiful and soulful rendition of “Hark the Herald Angels Sing” – His interpretation is absolutely breathtaking…You guys be the judge…




Entertainment Macco:
What does Christmas mean to you?
Dean Williams: "Christmas is about children, family and music for me, those are the main ingredients, and lots of colourful childhood memories."

Entertainment Macco: What is your most memorable Christmas experience?
Dean Williams: "Both of my daughters’ first Christmases, those were my most memorable experiences."

Entertainment Macco: What made you choose this particular Christmas Carol?
Dean Williams: "Talk to my manager…lol, if it were up to me I would have chosen Gimme Me Brush…"
Entertainment Macco: Are you serious? You know that is not a Carol right? Haha *Gimme Me Brush**

Entertainment Macco: Is this Christmas Carol your favourite or is there one closer to your heart? If there is one share it!
Dean Williams: "I really like Listen Mama I want yuh to tell Santa Claus."

Entertainment Macco: This is the first time I have heard you sing/play in this style, and it is great can we look forward to hearing this style more often?
Dean Williams: "Yes...this is how I will be playing from now on, all of my songs will have this amount of drive and soul."
Entertainment Macco: Yay!

Entertainment Macco:What challenges if any did you face in your interpretation of this carol?
Dean Williams: "I had no real challenges in interpreting this carol, the real concern for me was wondering if people would accept my unique version of it. Though, meeting my deadline while battling the flu was really tough."

Entertainment Macco: What Christmas traditions do you “MUST” follow every year?
Dean Williams: "Put up my Christmas tree and go to church Christmas night."

Entertainment Macco: What is one thing you taught, or plan to, or would like to teach your child/children about Christmas?
Dean Williams: "That Christmas is about love and sharing not necessarily about receiving gifts."

Entertainment Macco: What is your absolute favourite Christmas dish?
Dean Williams: "Pastelle, a slice of ham with chow chow, and a glass of strong ginger beer that burns my chest."

Entertainment Macco: Are you the early preparation type and comfortable type OR the last minute hustle and bustle, smelling the fresh paint type?
Dean Williams: "Most times the last minute type because I usually have a lot of gigs around that time."

Entertainment Macco: Do you think Christmas is appreciated, as it should be?
Dean Williams: "Yes, here in Trinidad I think we do, and with foreign trinis too, they carry on the traditions wherever they go."

Entertainment Macco: Does the actual day mean as much to you as the season?
Dean Williams: "Yes the day means a lot, Christmas day is the one day you always remember."

Entertainment Macco: Parang VERSUS Carols; which one do you prefer?
Dean Williams: "Carols…"

Entertainment Macco: Do you feel the same about Christmas as an adult in comparison to your feelings when you were a child? What has changed?
Dean Williams: "No that has changed, I think about my children now as a parent and want them to have the kind of Christmases I did as a child."

Entertainment Macco: If there was one thing you could change about Christmas, what would it be?
Dean Williams: "That Christmas wouldn’t be so much about money and spending but more about music, love and family."

Entertainment Macco: Are you on the Naughty or Nice list? I hope you are not getting coal in your stockings this Christmas… lol
Dean Williams: "Half and half LOL!"
Entertainment Macco: Ah ha! I guess that means you are going to get some Coal and some Gold! lol

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response.
0 Responses
Leave a Reply