Pages

Devyn De Soca Princess

There is something that is absolutely amazing about Devyn Tyson, she is a young lady with a gigantic voice. Chatting with Devyn was a pore-raising experience and she is well on her way to becoming a superstar. Born in the United States to Trinidadian parentage, Devyn is a Trini to the Bone.
Devyn’s mother; Natasha Mason-Tyson says that every time Devyn performs she turns into someone else. Her explanation was summed up by saying, “She is not the Devyn that I know and when she comes off the stage she goes back to being my little girl. And at every performance I cry, I feel very proud of her and it is an amazing ride... I am so excited for her but it is also scary....”

Entertainment Macco: Hi Devyn, tell me something about yourself?
Devyn: “I am unique little girl, people say I have an old spirit about me and they kinda see themselves in me because I am so mature for my age. I am very humble, fun loving, a great daughter and great friend. I was born on December 28th 2001.”

Entertainment Macco:  How long have you been singing?
Devyn: “Since I was four and now I am nine...so 5 years.”

Entertainment Macco: I realize that you are quite the performer, what is it that you enjoy the most about performing?
Devyn: “I love to see all the people and the crowd...the screaming the excitement and the fact that I can do it because not many kids my age can.“

Entertainment Macco: Who are your influences?
Devyn: “I would have to say Patrice Roberts, Machel Montano and Destra Garcia.”
Entertainment Macco: Why those three?
Devyn: “Because other than talent they have great presentations and are all awesome performers. Machel has been singing since he was 8 like me.  Patrice has some great songs. There are others I like but I have a connection to these three more than any other artistes...”

Entertainment Macco: Who is your favourite artiste?
Devyn: “Patrice Roberts.”
Entertainment Macco: Why is she your favourite?
Devyn: “She is very young and she has a lot of energy when she is on stage, some of her songs just amaze me.”
Entertainment Macco: Do you have a favourite Patrice song?
Devyn: “Yes definitely it is one that is called ‘Wuk it’ “

Entertainment Macco: You are so young so I have to ask you this, how easy or difficult is it for you to balance school and singing?
Devyn: “It is difficult but it is also easy because as much as I sing I know I have to study because without education you can’t do much of anything and would not reach very far in my life.”

Entertainment Macco: Are you ever scared to sing/perform for large crowds?
Devyn: “No I’m not.....I have been doing it since I was 4 and I am not scared to perform in front of anyone. When I just started I used to watch people on TV and I figured if they don’t look scared I shouldn’t be either.”



Entertainment Macco: Devyn, so many people are talking about you and your talent, how does that make you feel?
Devyn: “I feel excited and proud at the same time...on the 22/01/11 Machel was talking about me on one of his interviews and I have lots of things to do in the future.”
Entertainment Macco: Talking about you being so popular, I understand you registered for the Soca Monarch competition...How did that happen?
Devyn: “I was performing and one the people asked my mom if I could actually be a part of the competition. My mom knew I wanted to be a part and that is going to be a big step as it would help me grow and allow people to get to know me more.”
Entertainment Macco: Right...I understand
Devyn: “I also couldn’t enter Jr Soca Monarch because I don’t go to school in Trinidad...so I entered the Soca Monarch.”

Entertainment Macco: What can we expect from any of your performances?
Devyn: “I have a lot of supporters and most of them are my family...this new song that I have is called “The Islands” and it is all about the islands coming together and the unity we should have....I do always have a surprises but they are surprises that everybody has to wait for. But I plan on having tons of fun, enjoying myself and most importantly doing my best.”
Entertainment Macco: Are you scared about the thought of competing against these more established artistes (who are also like 3 or 4 times your size lol)
Devyn: “I am not scared....although they are big artistes....I am just going to have fun and do my best..I don’t even think of it as a competition....”
 
Entertainment Macco: Devyn, so many people are talking about you and your talent, how does that make you feel?
Devyn: “I feel excited and proud at the same time...on the 22/01/11 Machel was talking about me on one of his interviews and I have lots of things to do in the future.”



Entertainment Macco: Now, I understand you have a song out, (The Islands) which features Lyrikal, how did that collaboration come about?
Devyn: “I wrote the song and Ma$tamind asked Lyrikal to help with the bridge when Lyrikal was finished with the bridge it was actually his type of singing and we asked him if he would be on the song and he said yes.”

Entertainment Macco: Who produced the track?
Devyn: “Shawn Noel, the Ma$tamind.”

Entertainment Macco: Is this the first song you have ever written and can we expect more music from you?
Devyn: “It not the first one I have written but the first one I ever recorded.  I have been writing since I was 6. I have multiple books with songs that I wrote but I have like 4-5 solid songs”
Entertainment Macco: What was it like to record your first song?
Devyn: “It was exciting because I never recorded a song before. I had some difficulties because I would have to get the correct key and might have been a little off but not too much pressure. It was just fun.”

Entertainment Macco: Is there anything that you are scared about, as far as your music career is concerned?
Devyn: “I am kinda scared that people would not want me to grow up because sometimes they stop liking you when you start off so young. So I have to come up with really good songs so they can keep on liking me...”

Entertainment Macco: How did you feel when you heard your song on the radio for the first time?
Devyn: “Very proud and I didn’t believe that they would actually play my song. My mother was really proud and she cried....”

Entertainment Macco: Now a lot of adults might look at you and think your parents may be forcing you to do all the things you are involved in, is this something you enjoy doing or is it forced?
Devyn: “It is something that I enjoy doing, I really really really want to do it and my parents didn’t push me into doing it. They supported and continue to support me and encourage me.”

Entertainment Macco: Tell me about your family?
Devyn: “My family is very united, we all have a wonderful relationship, we don’t have conflict, they are not too picky and they always agree on one thing. We are a pretty grounded family. I love to be around my family they are the supporters...without them I really wouldn’t be here today.”
Entertainment Macco: Does anyone else in your family sing/perform?
Devyn: “My dad used to sing, my brother sings as well as my mom. It’s in my genes and it is generational, like my grandmother and great grandmother and stuff used to sing as well.”

Entertainment Macco: What are you looking forward to the most as you continue your career?
Devyn: “I would like to do more genres and actually have my own TV show some day. It is not only Soca that I want to do, although it is part of my culture I want to explore everything....”

Entertainment Macco: I am hearing something about you planning a video, is this true?
Devyn: “It is true.......I am involved in a documentary that is in the works but the actual video for the song is not solid as yet however there will be something in the near future...”

Entertainment Macco: What’s your favourite food?
Devyn: “Chicken Nuggets...”

Entertainment Macco: What do you do when you’re not singing and performing?
 Devyn: “I study a lot, I also like to read as well as write and I like to play a lot of sports”
Entertainment Macco: Are you doing well in school?
 Devyn: “I am doing wonderful in school, I am in the gifted programme in school and I have been for a very long time and I am in 4th grade. My grades are terrific as well.”

Entertainment Macco: Is there anyone you would like to say thank you to?
Devyn: “All the people who are supporting me, thank you to Machel Montano because he allowed me to perform with him in Brass Festival here in NYC plus he shouted me out on the radio, thank you to my mommy, all my family, my manager Natalie, Redman, Ma$tamind, Lyrikal and thank you to everyone in general.”







The Islands - Devyn feat. Lyrikal

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response.
4 Responses
  1. gravatar monifa

    This is an old soul good interview. Much Much More to come

  2. gravatar Anonymous

    Such a beautiful and talented young lady! All the best to her!!

  3. gravatar Anonymous

    I just saw this video of her from Army fete.... WOW I got instant goosebumps

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voqRi6rhJd8&feature=player_embedded

    You all just have to see this!

  4. gravatar Anonymous

    i love you DEVYN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a Reply